October 29, 2013 4-5 p.m. at FLS Energy Boardroom
Current: $6729. — 27 paid members
Wrote $250 for trolley sponsor, We will also be getting a RADA membership.
Event Follow up -Matt Sprouse
1. Review Past Events:
Emerald Ball – Street Closing – Shut down businesses down depot, hurt Gallery, the Blue Kudzo and Junction might of done good business
– The map that they gave with the alternate route was hard to follow, businesses at the bottom of Depot St. lost business. The Junction seemed to be busy
Asheville Marathon – Street Closing, Trip, Clingman Café, positive for neighborhood and his business new faces
– Police men would close one lane and let cars through, we liked this.
– Call it “Rolling Closure”? vs “Road Closure” phrasing on signage, Runners were slow and spread out, the road was not really closed.
– The race was challenging but they did a good job getting info to neighborhoods, they hired extra police to help keep people safe, Avl Marathon wants people to be happy and the on lookers
Communication is key: Notifications on front end, people planning events need to make contact with neighborhoods, 2 or 3 months notice is helpful
If something happens that we do or don’t like you can email TKTKTKT
– Event planners like the neighborhood to like the event
2. Discuss Upcoming Events:
– RADBA helped to get the time change, we really appreciate how the YMCA came and talked with us a few months early
– RADBA has a committee called the RADPAC that filters information back to the group
River Arts District Stroll
– RADBA is sponsoring the Trolly
Letters To Council and RAD Lofts – Tim Schaller
Harry is gonna build the rad lofts
- Concerned about parking, crosswalks, traffic
- Telephone poles
- Park avenue
- Affordable live spaces
- Live work spaces for artists
- Incubator spaces for artists
- Perpetuate studio space for artist keep it
- Develop a place for artists to grow business and artistic skill
– Tim presented in the name of RADBA to the council. From now on conversations to the city you can go to the Executive board prior to speaking for the group.
-Mark Hunt is active about getting the telephone poles down
– With all the infrastructure, Harry has to pay for a lot, but he’s a developer who likes to talk, so if you have ideas please let the RADPAC know and we will help communicate
– Public funds can offset affordable housing but not necessarily affordable retail, we would like to see affordable retail for up and coming artists
– 45 million development project, 3-4months
– Matt Sprouse – The RAD Lofts site design is made up of 7 buildings with courtyards, like Wall Street downtown
– Doesn’t close on property until December
West side of Depot St. Parking
– Parking places planned on Depot Street had almost passed, but a new person was hired at the railroad so we lost some traction, but Kim Putman is contacting the new laison
– 6.5 ft sidewalk from corner, 30 spaces
– Stripe other side of street
Pedestrian Bridge installed. Asheville Design Center did it! Nov. 14 Thursday 3:00 ribbon cutting ceremony, Joe – Chris – AVL Design Center – its installed! They are still working on more crossings build a bridge
Dave MMS will help sponsor membership drive. We will be sending a mailer to the postal routes in the neighborhood, encouraging the neighborhood to join.
Q: Should Membership dues change 50% before certain date? A: To avoid confusion we should keep annual dues $100 no matter when you join. It’s a donation to the neighborhood.
FLS Meeting Room – If we get more members we might need more space, Suggestion – Blue Kudzu, Or the Grant Center
Evan, AVL PD – Bunch more graffiti – Please report graffiti – call it in 828-252-1110 its the only way we can help stop it.
Odyssey Clay – Benefit Auction $20 Saturday Night – 5:00pm Then the party moving to Gray Eagle that night for music and more benefit
RADA – Oct. 31 Deadline money has to be in- to get the guide – Membership for associate is $100 Space in the back, Advertising Space Available Lori Mckarry, Online by credit card or check. RADBA will join RADA
RADBA welcomes Susan Kagan – Open house – 31 Riverview Dr. Nov. 6 – 4:30-6:30pm, 3rd house on the right